12.20.2010

Under the Mistletoe-Part 4

Part 4
Friday, December 3rd, 2010
“So, I ran into Tristan earlier this week…” Madeline had another sip of coffee and fumbled with her napkin on the table.
“And?” Rosalie was caught by the surprise of the topic change.
“He said you two are going to Chad’s wedding tomorrow…”
“And your point is?”
“I don’t know. Just bringing it up really.” Madeline averted her gaze making it obvious that something was on her mind.
“Oh god, Madeline, you make it seem as if we are still in High School.” Rosalie rolled her eyes.
“Well, I was just intrigued is all.”
“Uh huh, I’m sure. I know you’re cooking up something in that mind of yours.” Rosalie swept her gaze across the small coffee shop, taking in the rich smell of fresh coffee and muffins that lingered in the air.
“Come on, Rose. You two have a bit of history. There’s a lot more than you want to see. Have you guys even talked about what happened that summer after we graduated?”
Rosalie blushed but then felt her temper taking hold. “No, Madeline.”
“Hmmm, I see. “
“I don’t want to go back to that summer. There is no reason to. What happened is in the past. Tristan and I are just friends.” Rosalie was short with her reply.
“Yeah, “friends” who hadn’t seen each other in 7 years before a couple weeks ago. You two have history.”
Rosalie flashed her left hand, the square cut diamond catching the light. “I’m practically a married woman.”
Madeline laughed and began to rise from her chair, laughing. “Well then, on that note, I better head to work. Have a great time tomorrow”
Madeline left with a wink and Rosalie was left alone, with her coffee and her thoughts.
**********************************************************************************
Later that night…
Denver, Colorado—Micah’s Apartment
“ The firm’s Christmas party is tomorrow night.”
“What? I thought you had a bunch of work to catch on this weekend with the Sherman case.” Rosalie was a little surprised by his statement, curling up beside him on the sofa in front of the fireplace.
“We had to bump it up a weekend, you’re coming with me aren’t you?”
“I have that wedding tomorrow that I’m going to. Remember?” Rosalie sat up with her comment so she could look at Micah directly.”
“Oh crap! I forgot about that.”
Rosalie curled up to Micah again, her head on his chest and his arm around her. “It’s fine. I already have plans to go to it with a friend of mine because I knew you wouldn’t be able to go.”
“Oh? Who’s this friend?” Rosalie could sense that Micah was very interested in who she was going with to the wedding.
“Tristan Channing, you met him briefly at the tree farm last weekend.”
“Ah, that guy.”
Rosalie was caught off guard by his tone. “What do you mean that guy?”
“He was looking at you like you were a piece of meat.”
“Micah! He was not! We have known each other practically our whole lives!”
“So you told me. Did you ever sleep with him?”
Rosalie was shocked and caught off guard by his sudden comment and she felt her voice catch in her throat. “Micah!”
“Well, it was just a question.”
Rosalie knew it was time for a topic change and fast. She moved to her knees beside him on the couch and framed his face with his hands. “He’s just a friend. You’re not the jealous type so stop being that way.” With that comment Rosalie met Micah’s lips with her own. Micah kissed back fiercely and then pulled away, looking into Rosalie’s eyes.
“I’m sorry.”
“It’s fine. Let’s go to bed.” Rosalie stood up and took Micah’s hand, leading him into the bedroom and thanking god for the change of topic.
**********************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment