7.08.2011

A Royal Affair

Chapter 5

Kensington Palace

“I guess this is one of the perks of being a royal, hmmm?” Evelyn and Keaton walked down the main hall of Kensington Palace. The Palace was closed due to some required upkeep and maintenance.

“I guess you could say so.”

“Such a beautiful place! I love it. But I have said that about everywhere you have taken me today. I just can’t get over it.” Evelyn said observing in awe.

“This was a very important place for many of the past Queens. Each left their own touch, transforming it to its current stature.”

“And here I am, walking in its midst of history with a direct descendant.”

Keaton let out a hearty laugh and they continued their tour, stopping when they reached the grand balcony that looked out over the gardens.

“You have been quite the tour guide today, Keaton. I feel guilty for taking so much of your time. You must have something better to do.” Evelyn rested her hands on the cool stone railing, facing the gardens to take in the cool evening air and the beauty of the sight ahead of her. The day had been unreal.

“I couldn’t possibly think of a better way to spend my day, Evelyn. It’s so refreshing to get away from everything and everyone. And anyways, I forgot how fun it is to get lost in these places and share my knowledge of my ancestry. You have done me a great honor by allowing me to accompany you.”

Oh how he knew exactly what to say, Evelyn thought to herself. The words spilled from his mouth with finesse and the most perfect accent. She closed her eyes and transported herself to years before, when ladies and gentlemen of high nobility roamed the very spot where they were standing. She could just imagine what Keaton would look like in period military regalia and she, in a grand dress fit for a queen. The heat of Keaton’s touch on her hand brought her out of her dream world.

“Daydreaming now are we? You should be very inspired to write now.”

“Oh, I think I was inspired long before today’s events.” Evelyn said, turning to face Keaton, shrinking the distance between them.

“What do you mean?” Keaton looked at her inquisitively, raising an eyebrow in wonder at her meaning.

Evelyn skirted around his question. “I was inspired the moment I stepped foot off the plane!”

“Hmmm England tends to do that to people.” Keaton moved closer to her, the sun setting in the distance casting its burning glow upon them.

“Oh? Is that right?” Evelyn wanted grab him and kiss that smirk off his face. Damn the man for being so desirable.

Keaton leaned in closer, his face only inches from hers, their bodies not yet touching.

“Just imagine how many people have shared a kiss at this very spot.”

“Oh, I already have.”

“I suppose we should officially join the ranks of England’s past nobility. That way, you can properly be inspired to write of regency romance. You can’t tell a story without experiencing it firsthand to some extent.” Keaton flashed Evelyn a devilish grin, pulling her into his arms.

“Oh, but I can! And I told you I have already been properly inspired.” Evelyn pushed back on his chest, pulling away in a teasing manner but Keaton kept his arms wrapped tightly around her, leaning in to take her lips with his. The kiss was soft, yet passionate. Evelyn melted into Keaton’s strong body, wanting more from him. His hands found her hair, shaking it loose from its pins to flow freely in his hands. Evelyn tore her lips from his, stepping back and out of his arms. The warmth from the remnants of the sun became extinguished and the cool night air took hold, urging them both back into each other’s embrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment